Weather In Austria

From: Kerrin
To: Joe
Subject: climate in Austria

As you know, I’m from the beautiful country of Austria. Right now, it’s very cloudy and raining slightly, but that’s not always the case. In summer, my favourite season, it’s quite hot. Unless it’s raining and I’m inside reading a book, the sky is cloudless and the sun’s burning everyone’s skin at 35°C.
The temperatures go down in autumn. The leaves turn brown and fall off trees, the quite strong winds carry them away. By November it’s really cold here in Austria and everyone has to wear thick wintercoats to keep them warm. Sadly it’s never cold enough for snow on Christmaseve.
Now it’s spring and the temperatures are rising. It’s still cold in the morning, but pleasently warm throughout the rest of the day with about 8 to 15 degrees Celsius.
I don’t enjoy cold winters. I especially hate the muddy snow on roads which can cause problems for public transport. I would enjoy living in a place where it’s hot all year round, but I still prefer the seasonal changes. This way, there’s always the next season to look forward to.
I hope I was able to help you with your project and have informed you clearly about the weather in Austria.
All the best, Kerrin

This is lake Wörth or “Wörthersee” where I spend the sunny days in summer

The view from Gerlitzen, a mountain everyone likes to go to for skiing

5 thoughts on “Weather In Austria

1. Forestdweller

Not only is your text informative but also personal and even poetic in places. I am happy to say that you almost managed to stick to the 190 words this time. Despite some minor errors, your email works well as a whole. The sentence: “I think it can get up to 35 degrees Celsius hot.”, however, could be expressed much more elegantly.
    What do you do in summer when it’s not raining?

• Yes, it took me some deleting but I somehow managed to kind of stick to the wordlimit. If I had been allowed to use more words, I could have mentioned that I often go to the lake in summer and hang out with friends or try my best at football in the streets all by myself. However, sometimes I waste the sunniest days staying in and watching TV or YouTube Videos and I’m not very proud to say that.

2. Dear Kerrin,
    This is a great post! I enjoyed reading about the weather from all the different seasons. I live in the U.S so the weather is similar. I like hot weather too. Does it snow in Austria?

• Hello Lauryn!
      Thanks so much for reading my post and commenting, and yes, it does snow in Austria. Austria has many mountainous areas, which means there’s actually quite a lot of snow. The Alps are the highest and most extensive mountain range system that lies entirely in Europe: France, Italy, Liechtenstein, Germany, Slovenia, Switzerland AND, of course, Austria! (Yes, I Kind of copied that from Wikipedia, but whatever 😀 ) The higher the altitude of the city, the higher the chances of snow! ( I will add a picture to the text so you can check that out if you’d like)
      Because of the mountains in Austria, skiing is basically our national sport, but I don’t like it. I am able to ski, but have never really enjoyed it, so I gave away my skiing equipment and have since never went again!
      What about the weather in the state you live in? Does it snow there? Have you ever went skiing and if so, did you like it? Let me know, I’m interested!

I can’t wait for your answer,
      Greetings from Austria!

3. If it’s raining, I too will most likely be inside reading a book. I love your style of writing, a mixture of personal thoughts, facts, and descriptive words. I’m in the US so I’m not very familiar with celsius degrees so I thought It was cool to see 35 degrees be hot to you when 90+ is hot for me. Keep doing what you’re doing and check my blog out if you’d like. http://juditramos.edublogs.org/